Wednesday, March 6, 2019

24.) I Get Along Without You Very Well

This is it!  The final arrangement for the 24 Standards project is of the song I Get Along Without You Very Well by none other than Hoagy Carmichael.   I first got to know this song from the recording by vocalist Kurt Elling.  This song wasn't on my list, but while I was away in Switzerland it suddenly popped into my head.  I wrote the arrangement in Switzerland - it seemed to fit well, being 4000 away from my wife.  If you don't know the lyrics of this song, the gist is, "I get along without you very well, except when 'this' and 'that'...."   Basically the narrator doesn't get along without her very well at all.  So it was fitting.

I really love the song.  The harmony of the A sections was a little challenging, because it was so simple and repetitive.  It was somewhat difficult to find creative things to for the arrangement, and also challenging during the solo for the same reason.  But I think it came out well.  I hope you enjoy it.  I will follow this post with a post of final reflections, probably in a few days.  Thanks for listening.



No comments:

Post a Comment