Thursday, June 15, 2017

13.) Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most

Lucky number thirteen!  Let me tell you, finishing this song can really hang you up the most!  This was a difficult one to get done.  It's long and repetitive, but with little differences in those repetitions. It was difficult to memorize, and my focus has been all over the place lately anyway.  Life!  Spring!  

The song is Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most by Fred Landesman and Tommy Wolf.  This song goes back to my Manhattan School of Music days when I performed it with vocalist and pianist Brenda Earle.  I checked out various recordings of it - Ella Fitzgerald, and check out my pal Randy Ingram's recent recording! - but I still hear Brenda's voice when I play it.  I like this song.  It's got some pretty parallel harmony - similar to Keith Jarrett's version of In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning from the Blue Note recordings, which basically kills me and has always killed me.  And the song has an enjoyable "modulation fake out" coming out of the bridge into the last A section.

When I was growing up in MN, summer was the best season.  Spring was second best.  But after moving to NY, back in 2002, Fall became second best.  I think it's because I moved to the city in the Fall to start my master's program at MSM.  It was such an exciting time.  Spring however became a reminder of probably the scariest transition of my life - that of finishing my degree and entering the real world in NYC.   Crappy jobs, living paycheck to paycheck, unsure if my girlfriend really liked me or not (happy to report that we'll be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary this July!).   Further more, for many years Spring was always the end of getting paid as my piano students all left for the summer.  There was always this feeling of "how the hell am I going to make it until Fall financially?"  Fall was a relief.  Cooler temperatures, and the return of the my students.   Spring is getting better though.  I love Spring activities, and money isn't quite as much of a problem as it used to be.   But there remains an occasional worried lump in my throat during Springtime.  It is true that Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most.  



No comments:

Post a Comment